Tuesday 10 December 2013

Sugar Spun Nails

Hai there!

I chipped my lovely purple water marbled nails at work so took it all off and decided to have a go at another technique I hadn't tried yet: Sugar Spun





For this I used my usual Barry M basecoat with w7 Neon Blue, Barry M Gelly Grapefruit and Sally Hansen quick drying Mega Shine top coat. I also needed a piece of foiled card and a toothpick.






I started with a coat of the basecoat, followed by 2 thin coats of the Neon Blue (oops, made a slight mess :p ):



After the blue was fully dried I set up the pot of Grapefruit, the foiled card and the toothpick. I blobbed some of the Grapefruit colour onto the card and let it air dry for a few minutes until it was tacky and I was able to pull strings from the polish using a toothpick. Still using the toothpick, I pulled the tacky, stringy varnish across over the blue until the nail was covered enough, thus creating the 'sugar spun' look. This was the final result on my left hand:





It's not a technique I particularly enjoyed to be honest, I probably won't be in a hurry to do it again soon but I love the vibrant mix of the blue and grapefruit, and it will do me just fine until Thursday :)

Later on I finished this off with a coat of the mega shine top coat but I kinda wish I hadn't. Even though the 'sugar spun' strandy bits were bone dry, they still sort of dissolved into the top coat so its been left as more of a tiger stripe than anything. I think they'd probably look better if they were left as above, without the top coat over it.

Friday at work is 'wear your christmas jumper' day in aid of the Save the Children charity so on Thursday I will likely be doing Christmas themed nails!

Laters all! 

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment